Farmers Coop Society is proudly farmer owned since we were founded in 1907. This month we are happily celebrating our members with National Coop Month! The biggest benefit of a cooperative is that the profits benefit the local members, while ensuring access of the local goods on a national market. Today, there are more than 40,000 cooperative businesses operating in every sector of the U.S. economy with 1 in 3 Americans holding 350 million coop memberships.
Farmers Coop Society was formed in 1907 with the desire of local farmers to provide a sound and fair business where they could purchase and sell farm commodities. Today, we still proudly deliver sustainable Ag Business solutions to our members. Cooperatives are community- born and community led organizations. FCS proudly generates jobs in our local communities, keeps your profits local, supports local community organizations and puts millions of dollars back into our local communities through property taxes, wages, sales taxes and local spending.
Like all Cooperatives, Farmers Coop Society is overseen by a local board of directors. They make executive decisions with a coop and members first mindset; we care about meeting our member’s needs. We would like to sincerely thank all of our members and customers, FCS’s success is driven by you!
A BIT OF HISTORY:
- Coop Month has been nationally recognized since 1946
- U.S. cooperatives generate more than 2 million jobs each year, contribute $652 billion in annual sales, and possess $3 trillion in assets.
- Most of the Americas's 2 million farmers are farmer co-op members providing 250,000 jobs and $8 Billion in annual wages.
- Minnesota was the first state to declare an official Co-op Month proclamation in 1948.
- Co-op Month has been a nationally recognized celebration since 1964, when U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Orville Freeman, a former Minnesota governor, proclaimed October Co-op Month.
- The first national theme in 1964 was “Cooperatives: USDA Helps Build a Better America.”
- The U.S. Government sponsored Co-op Month from 1964-70.
- Since 1971, cooperatives, statewide associations, and the National Cooperative Business Association have fueled their own events and promotions.